Sunday, October 26, 2014

From stalking to love - Not your typical birthday card



Happy three months anniversary!

Can you believe we made it so far? I actually pinched myself this morning, to make sure it’s not a dream. God knows it could have ended in a terrible way – alcoholism, drug addiction or suicide. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Our first fall together

I mean no one who sees you acting so lovingly with me would imagine all this started with an unhealthy obsession. Yes, I admit, I was crazy about you years before we hook up. But not in a good way. More like Maroon 5’s music video for “Animals”, where Adam Levine plays the role of a creep who stalks a gorgeous young woman. Story of my life, right there!

The truth is, part of the blame belongs to you. What where you expecting after you proclaimed yourself “the most powerful” nation out there? Flashy, careless, not to mention gorgeous, you were everything I could dream off.

It was right around college when I start downloading photos of you and set them as a desktop background. The more revealing, the better. Later, when I got a job at a newspaper, I wrote an alarming number of articles about people who came in contact with you, even for a brief period. My boss was really pissed off. One day, she shook her head and told me it’s useless; you’re out of my league. I fought back and responded we’re gonna marry. Heck, I said it to everyone. I was bluffing.  After all, we couldn’t be more different. The Lady and the Tramp. The Beauty and the Beast. Cinderella and Prince Charming. You get the idea. 

I always dreamed of taking you on a coffee date

That night, your flag wrapped around my back - bought by a friend from an American store- I sat down on my bed, crying, rocking back and forth like a little baby monkey. I also prayed a lot. But my miracle didn’t come right away. It wasn't until a year later that you gave me a chance. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
 
So serene, yet mysterious...
“Yes we can”, I told myself, as I walked in the American Embassy building in Romania, with all my hopes and savings. I was prepared for a painful rejection. That’s when you did something completely unexpected – you said yes! I had a Visa to prove it.

Six month later, we finally met. I’ll never forget the breezy summery night, this July, when you waited me outside the O’Hare Airport. It felt like the movies. It still does. 

No comments: