Thursday, September 4, 2014

Moving to America feels like playing video games


Had I knew what I’m signing up for coming to U.S, I would thought twice before spending over a year to raise 10.000 dollars, what then seemed like a fortune.

From day one, Chicago left me mesmerized not only at its architecture, but also at the plethora of natural greenness. People too are nicer and tolerant than in Romania, my home country.

What really blew me away was the emotional earthquake I felt once my mind has finally caught up with reality.

My bellowed position as a journalist for the biggest Romanian newspaper? Gone. My little routine of going to the gym three days a week with a cheerful group of familiar faces? Gone. My annoying neighbor who used to vent on about her day without once asking my opinion, but compensate by baking some delicious donuts? Gone.

Everything is different here, from healthcare and banking to driving, shopping and even walking, which sometimes leaves me questioning our ability to adapt.

That’s probably why babies lack self-awareness. They wouldn’t probably bear to realize they don’t have a clue about how things work, while their parents seem like NBA players at this game called life.

Speaking of witch, my husband came up with the perfect definition for our first five weeks here. “It’s like we are trapped in a video game. There are deadly obstacles to overcome and we’re running out of munition”. Read this article for some uncommon side-effects of moving to another country.

Actually, I’m getting used to being way out of my comfort zone. 

First, my glasses needed to changed or else they wouldn’t let me take the written driver's license exam. Then I slammed a car door over my right thumb. The bleeding went on for days and my fingernail turned from purple to blue and red. Let not forget about losing my job as a dental receptionist before even starting it or the minor traffic accident my husband was involved.

When put into perspective, all of this means nothing. Because growth is supposed to be painful and scary in order to remain burned into our spirits. If you can stand it, of course.

No comments: