Thursday, September 11, 2014

Ode to all CTA drivers

One of the biggest revelations since moving in The Windy City was the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). It has by far the coziest buses and trains I ever ride with and they just make me excited to be out and about.

Heroes in traffic
I was blown away to read on their official website that close to a million people ride every single day with the CTA buses alone. Even though most of us would chose without a blink the convenience of a personal car, this kind of public transportation can be a great way to learn a thing or two about the American culture.
Photo Source
It’s nice to hop on the bus and be greeted by a usually chocolate skin driver, who graciously steers the wheel as if he would drive a tiny Japanese kei car, not a 30.000 pounds wheeled mastodon, almost the size of my living room. I am sure it’s not their job to entertain me, but I can’t help smiling when I tap my Ventra card to the reader and see a blue uniform out of the corner of my eye.
The revolving door of dangers a CTA driver faces every single time a new passenger walks in makes me appreciated them even more. Like that time when a bus operator confiscated a gun and put an end to what could have become a tragedy. Thanks to guys like him and more than 23-thousand surveillance cameras, violent crime has fallen more than 30 percent in the first six months of this year compared to last year, according to a CTA recently study. "No matter where you go on the CTA system, there are 23,000 eyes on you", CTA President Forrest Claypool announced in July.
This is not to say bad things don’t happen anymore on Chicago buses, but it’s quite comforting for riders to know that they are not completely helpless. Especially for those like RedEye journalist, Tracy Swartz, who spend more than two and a half years riding all 139 CTA bus routes from start to finish. This unusual marathon has completely changed the way she views not only the public transportation, but the city itself.
Whatever route you choose, I hope you have a smooth ride!


No comments: